I have been there a few times and have seen others there as well.
It is usually made of wood and looks like a bench seat. It is a seat-for Jesus.
I really did not understand the meaning of that space until recently. The mercy seat in the Bible was to be found inside the Tabernacle. The mercy seat and the Ark of the Covenant was within the Holy of Holies. It was in a place where only the High Priest could once a year. And then it was only approachable through the shedding of blood- the Blood of a Perfect Lamb.
When Jesus came it was his blood that covered the Mercy Seat.
The mercy seat covers the Ark of the Covenant. Inside the Ark is the Ten Commandments. It is the Blood of the Lamb that covers us and not our works.
I was thinking it was our right doings that kept us holy but I was so wrong. Guilt can enslave us. We think we are free to do good and yet often times we don't do anything and remain living for our self. We are trapped by the Law.
In front of the Mercy Seat is the Holiness table. This table is not always a standard feature in the Church as it once was. On the table there was a cloth. And on the cloth are the words Holiness unto the Lord. It is usually red and represents the Blood of Jesus. I really did not understand that part either until now as I write this. The only way we could get to experience Grace is through the blood. It is the blood that makes us holy. It is the also the seamless garment that Jesus wore and also that the High Priest wore and also the seamless curtain between the Inner court and the Holy of Holies.
And now that holy place is placed within us. Our bodies are holy temples. It is a fascinating field of study for sure.
I am trying understand the thinking of the symbols of the Salvation Army from a Biblical perspective. Many of them are unusual. So as I examine them again I am sharing them here.
No comments:
Post a Comment