There are two ways to approach the Almighty Creator and "Sustainer" of Life. We must choose which way to answer His invitation. I was reading 1Samuel 10. It speaks of Saul's appointment as the first king of Israel. God chose him and the people agreed with His decision but Saul did not. He was hiding on the cargo deck.
1Samuel 8. So many ideas are running through my head as I wonder why was he hiding. Am I hiding? He had several confirmations that God would be with him as he took up the new position before he was officially appointed including an out pouring of "inspired teaching" . . But....he did not trust the Sustainer of Israel. Evidence of his anointing can be found in 1Sameul 8-10:20
So when Goliath came along he was afraid, incapacitated with fear for 40 days. He had been king for a few years. Then came a cocky teenage sheep herder who had heard many stories of this God who had lead his people out of Egypt, the God of Samson, Ruth( his great grandma) and others. The same stories that King Saul had heard. But he looks at Goliath not as a future friend but as a foe of the God. There was no fear in his approach to the insulter of his God. The 40 day staring contest was over. Sort of reminds me of the 40 days Jesus was also tempted by Satan in Matthew 4:1-11.
David ran towards the reproacher. He left his packages of food for his brothers in the cargo area. He had work to do. 1 Samuel 17: 22,32 David told Saul, "No one should be discouraged because of this. I will go and fight this Philistine." I love this verse. Can you imagine someone doing that today?
"Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, President Barack Obama and all of your people -don't be afraid of Ayatollah Khamenei and his side kick Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. I will find a way to destroy this Islamist." Same idea I think. It would make for some fascinating news eh?
1Samuel 8. So many ideas are running through my head as I wonder why was he hiding. Am I hiding? He had several confirmations that God would be with him as he took up the new position before he was officially appointed including an out pouring of "inspired teaching" . . But....he did not trust the Sustainer of Israel. Evidence of his anointing can be found in 1Sameul 8-10:20
So when Goliath came along he was afraid, incapacitated with fear for 40 days. He had been king for a few years. Then came a cocky teenage sheep herder who had heard many stories of this God who had lead his people out of Egypt, the God of Samson, Ruth( his great grandma) and others. The same stories that King Saul had heard. But he looks at Goliath not as a future friend but as a foe of the God. There was no fear in his approach to the insulter of his God. The 40 day staring contest was over. Sort of reminds me of the 40 days Jesus was also tempted by Satan in Matthew 4:1-11.
David ran towards the reproacher. He left his packages of food for his brothers in the cargo area. He had work to do. 1 Samuel 17: 22,32 David told Saul, "No one should be discouraged because of this. I will go and fight this Philistine." I love this verse. Can you imagine someone doing that today?
"Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, President Barack Obama and all of your people -don't be afraid of Ayatollah Khamenei and his side kick Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. I will find a way to destroy this Islamist." Same idea I think. It would make for some fascinating news eh?
No comments:
Post a Comment