Saturday, 13 October 2012

Another hidden gem of nutrition

I have recently introduced my children to a very good source of nutrition. I bought it mainly because of the price and not for the true value of the meat. I have since discovered that is a very good place to find Vitamin  A, B12, iron, copper and 80 other nutritional items. No wonder our parents and grandparents feed it us. My husband remembers his grandmother serving it once a week whether he liked it or not. My mom did the same.
 I thought it was the storehouse for all the chemicals in the cow. I am wrong. The fat is the store house not the liver. The liver is the processor of the chemicals etc. So I am doing the same thing for my children. But I am trying out new recipes.

The best kind of liver is that of a grass fed cow. I have since noticed that this also veal(calf) liver and chicken livers as well for sale.  I have yet to really check the price and value of these other related meats.
 
But livers do have a large amount of cholesterol in them. I am not sure if this is a bad thing or a good thing. We need cholesterol for cell function and formation. I am not sure if my body really cares and will turn the beef cholesterol into something else that I need in order to live. It is the lack of blood flow that causes illness and not saturated fat. All I know is that we are wonderfully made and that we need to include more natural ingredients in our diets then not.  

I have found a old recipe book at a local thrift store. It is  The Blender Cookbook. It was written in 1961 when the blender just came out.  I am rediscovering many recipes including mayonnaise,  sauces for meat, veggies and salads.  I have found  a simple white sauce I can mix with mushrooms and I no longer need the can of condensed mushroom soup that I have come to rely on for "flavour". Flour,  butter and milk mixed with a can of mushroom pieces. Add any spice you so desire. The kids are missing the MSG. But I feel better with out it.

No comments:

Post a Comment