Tuesday, 23 October 2012

Sneaking the veggies into the daily menu

I have started to make my own pot of beans on a weekly basis. I am able to use the stock from the roast chicken as the water for the beans.  So the beans are tastier and even more nutritious then before.

 I add a little tomato sauce and a little "visible" meat and we have a tasty chilli or filling for a burrito for very little money.  The beans are a few years old. I had not figured out how to make them tasty. Now I have. I have many containers of chicken stock in my freezer waiting for the perfect soup recipe. There is none. But my family enjoys the burritos. So that is how I serve it. Very cheap and very tasty.

I put the beans in the blender or add the manual -in-pot mixer and we have "re -fried beans". 
Even my non-vegetable eaters enjoy the beans this way. I have added as many veggies to the roast chicken as I can. I have added onions, carrots, potatoes, yams, garlic, sweet potatoes, celery+ other spices- cumin, coriander, sage and oregano to the roast chicken. Perhaps pot roast might be a better name.  And then we eat the meat on the day of the roast.  That takes about 2hours to cook nicely. I also add about a cup of water. Easy and "quick". It is sort of like have a crock pot. 
 
That has been the best invention for the modern life. I have loved this in the summer especially. I was able to go to the park with the kids all day and when I  return home and supper was already done. 





Another place to sneak in vegetables into your children's diet is in smoothies. Make sure the fruit is there and a little sweet. So I use about two cups of home made yogurt and 1 cup veggie/fruit mixture- like pumpkin/apple sauce, grapes/pumpkins, boiled raisins with goli berries, leeks with apples or carrots/beets/apples and then 1 cup of liquid like green tea, fruit tea, juice, and then about a 1/4 cup of focused sweetness as found in syrup or jam.
 
When you boil the dried berries and raisins keep the liquid and add that as well  to the smoothie. I personally would add about a 1/2 cup of berries to about a cup of water.  
I just saw someone add nuts to the mixture. 

So mix it up and have fun. I usually cook the pumpkins, apples, grapes, beets, leeks ahead of time. Then everything is "smooth" but if you don't mind the little pieces then use the raw. I have often frozen the ingredients as well.  I have found  with my pickiest eater- the one with the repaired cleft palette who also has the braces ->that the smoother the texture of the food the better it is to eat.  So This is why I do things this way. But lately I have added  pineapple and allowed that to blend in the blender longer then normal and it seems to be going down all right. Fresh pineapple with canned coconut milk, and concentrated orange juice added to the yogurt with a little home made syrup. Very yummy. 

I have found that adding just the raw sugar to the drinks is not as sweet as when  I make a syrup from the sugar. This is also easy to do. Two cups of sugar and 1 cup of boiling hot water. Mix and stir. You might want to add some maple flavouring. My mother has used this recipe many times. My husband is amazed that we can make our own for a fraction of the price of the store bought.













No comments:

Post a Comment