Monday, 23 July 2012

Shopping for Bargins

Best time of the day to shop for discounted items is in the morning. I find the that the best day of the week is the day before the new flier starts as well.. unless it is a one day sale of course.

I lost out on that one recently. I had decided to go later... after the supper time rush hour.. Missed out on the one day sale item so I asked for a rain check and those had also run out by the time I got there. I went home sad...but found a few other items within my budget.

Some times the sales are found in speciality stores. Where there is less over head to help pay for. The mom and pop stores can have the best prices for the best meat/produce/bakery items. Here in Canada we are used to buy everything at the same store and forget the smaller business operator who is  creating a more friendly, customer focused business.

Shopping is a job. Reading labels, weighing the good against the bad ingredients. Making sure we are giving to our family the best building blocks to build the rest of their life upon takes time. There is so much junk food that is priced lower then the real food and most times it "tastes" better- especially down the serial aisle. And the "convenient" aisle of chips, "snack" food.

And then if we venture down the "international aisle" we enter a whole different world. Different languages, company names...I think most items there are less refined and better for us. I find many items are less expensive there including the spices and the beans. The choice of soya sauce, rice and noodles are also better there.

No comments:

Post a Comment