Monday, 11 June 2012

Ripping up the old to make room for new

crochet rag rug
I am continuing to cut my scraps into 2 inch strips. Some are going with the grain and some are not.
 I did not know how this activity would affect the rest of my body. My hands have more muscles to develop. Who knew they would cramp and resist my mind? I think there is more to learn about the workings of the hand that we often take for granted.

I have found that all material is woven together. I found clothes that were placed in storage. My kids are happy about the extension of their wardrobes.
Ripping old things to make new things has been interesting so far. 
Amish knotted rug
I think I am ready for the knotting experience. I will be using the way of the Amish without the braiding at the moment. I  did not know there were so many choices...until I looked on you-tube. 

I am doing my ripping/cutting  outside on the picnic table. More light is there and more peace.  And the dust from the fibers does not harm any one.  I am also not distracted by the TV as I proceed. I am also using my paper cutter to begin my 2 inch strips and then ripping the rest of material.  


braided rag rug
So the Amish do not use any electrical power.  They knot the ends together or hand sew them. I think I will make two rugs to start with each using a different joining technique and see what I am more comfortable with. 

knitted rag rug
Then the technique of actually making the rug.  Again there are so many choices. You can knit, crotchet, braid and then sew concentric circles.




No comments:

Post a Comment