I have just started to use well cooked veggies in sauces, gravy to thicken them instead of flour or corn starch. So far I have used only carrots. But I will be experimenting with more soon.
You will need to "sauce" them first. Or cook them on their own. I would suggest carrots, leeks, zucchini, peppers and other darker vegetables to go with a tomato sauce. Cauliflower, golden beets would be good with a lighter coloured sauce -gravy. I usually use a can of condensed mushroom soup as my starter.
I blend in the meat sauces to the soup, and also the "mashed" cauliflower. No one else needs to know. Your children receive the benefits of the vegetables. Also before you "mash" the vegetables do not drain them. A lot of the vitamins are in the water so include it in your mashing. So do not add to much water to the pot of vegetables. So you will need to use the lid to keep the steam inside.
I love giving my kids my "mystery sauces". I know that the condensed can of mushroom soup has MSG in it. But I think the benefits of the vegetables erases the negatives of the MSG. I am sure you can do the same thing with regular gravy.
You will need to "sauce" them first. Or cook them on their own. I would suggest carrots, leeks, zucchini, peppers and other darker vegetables to go with a tomato sauce. Cauliflower, golden beets would be good with a lighter coloured sauce -gravy. I usually use a can of condensed mushroom soup as my starter.
I blend in the meat sauces to the soup, and also the "mashed" cauliflower. No one else needs to know. Your children receive the benefits of the vegetables. Also before you "mash" the vegetables do not drain them. A lot of the vitamins are in the water so include it in your mashing. So do not add to much water to the pot of vegetables. So you will need to use the lid to keep the steam inside.
I love giving my kids my "mystery sauces". I know that the condensed can of mushroom soup has MSG in it. But I think the benefits of the vegetables erases the negatives of the MSG. I am sure you can do the same thing with regular gravy.
No comments:
Post a Comment