Saturday, 13 August 2011

Water your garden

It is summer in North America. In BC a major problem for our gardens is the slugs that like to eat the leaves of many plants including the lettuce, the zucchini and others. I am sure the raspberries are free from this pest.I guess they can be considered to a recycler of sorts. But I do not notice the "weeds" being recycled as quickly as my zucchini plant. So when I water my garden of Zucchini and tomatoes I inspect the slug damage and thus take action with my salt shaker. Sea weed from the ocean is also good.
Yesterday I was watching this program on TV. About the native people of Canada being the first scientists. I was amazed really. One of the things that I received from the show was that many of the plants that grow easy-most of which we would consider as weeds are actually medicinal plants. I have left  section of my garden for the plants that were here before we moved in. It includes lilies and asters, and pink ladies. These all grow easy and every year they come back. I wonder if there is medicine in there too.  I grow it in honor of  the ancestors of this area. I wonder how many do?

No comments:

Post a Comment