Sunday, 14 August 2011

Baking

Yesterday my husband wanted me to buy a cake. He likes his sweets. I compromised and bought a cake mix. Then I had my children make it. The cake was easy for my cookie making experts. It was a team effort. They liked the results. The results were fresher then anything from a store. My husband was pleased with the results too even though he had to wait a 1/2hr to eat it. The cake mix was 1/2 the price of the ready made one.
So it was a happy ending.

When I was about 9 my family lived in northern Manitoba. My mom would bake bread every week. She figured it was the best choice for a limited income and a teen age son-my older brother. Somehow she found a source for large bags of flour. I can only get 20lbs bags in a regular store. I think she had 50lbs bags. She had this big bowl that she would use. It was big and made of metal. It would take all day. It had to rise once she mixed it altogether. And then she would cut it into buns and loaves and then let it rise again. Her "leftovers" she would cut into into rectangles and fry them. Then we would dip them into the sugar. Yummy!!
I really don't remember sliced meat on the bread. But I remember homemade raspberry jam with peanut butter. It was very yummy. She would freeze the loaves to keep them fresh and mouse free. It was also easier to cut after the freezing.
Today, I have found a store that makes my bread for $1.69/loaf.  At the moment it is a good choice As it is difficult for me to find low price for the flour and the yeast.
But the jam is worth making. As I have found a source for the sugar needed that is a great price and the berries are really cheap at the moment. Some are free if I can find them.
Blackberries grow everywhere. If you get them just at the right time they are so sweet. Last year I was trying to make them  into a drink for my daughter. So I was straining them. Not a good idea. (too much time)This year I will just process them whole into a jam. My son likes them blended with yogurt and sugar in a smoothie.



No comments:

Post a Comment