I became more aware of MSG last year as I was helping my kids do a project on MSG. And since that time I have started to read more of the labels on the packages on products that I use. I find it every where in soups and in the crackers, chips to name a few. We no longer eat out for this main reasons.
Wendy's is one of the few places that cares though. I have been avoiding the trans-fats as well. So I thought KFC was okay- until I learned that the secret was MSG. NO wonder it doesn't last too long in the box. Do you know why Campbell Mushroom Soup is so good on everything?--the MSG. These companies are coming out with better for you products... This makes me happy. But the prices of these items are not so good.
So I have started to go back to the "raw" ingredients. I have flour, sugar, salt, milk and eggs so I can make my own cookies, fish batter, pancakes. These are just pennies per meal to make. You can even make the syrup for the pancakes for pennies.. First find the maple flavoring called Mapleine (http://www.mccormick.com/Products/Extracts-and-Food-Colors/Extracts/Mapleine-Imitation-Maple-Flavor.aspx.) In my adventures I have picked up some corn flour that is commonly used in South Asian kitchens not so much in the homes of the Europeans. I mixed it with wheat flour and have found a batter for fish, and chicken that actually sicks.
I wonder if McDonald's misses our $25.00 weekly contributions.
No comments:
Post a Comment