Wednesday, 22 October 2014

Blessing #5- the Hazel (Tree)




Benefits of Hazelwood

Hazelwood necklaces originated from North America and were used by the Aboriginal people to cure various ailments. The necklaces were believed to have healing powers on constipation, digestion, eczema, arthritis, nausea, heartburn, migraines and acid reflux. The reason they are popular is because they have no known side effects or allergy issues whatsoever.

1. Aids in digestion
While there is no scientific evidence to prove its role in digestion, the Aboriginal people used Hazelwood to treat common digestive disorders, including acid reflux, constipation, irregular bowel movements, gastric ulcers and stomach upset. Hazelwood also helps in neutralising stomach acids to help children with digestion problems.


2. Skin health
Have you been looking for ways to eliminate skin blemish and other unwanted facial features? If so, Hazel necklace has proven useful for improving skin health and general wellness. It can help to ease the symptoms of eczema and psoriasis, as well as other conditions like dry skin. Nonetheless, studies are ongoing to determine whether it has a role in skin health.


3. Hazelwood and depression
Feeling depressed after a long days work? Depression is part of our lives since we often encounter challenges at work or at school. Therefore, instead of taking anti-depressant in the hopes of improving your energy levels, why not try Hazelwood? It is useful for anxiety and depression, not to mention that you never have to worry about any adverse side effects, which are inevitable when taking anti-depressant.

4. Dental health
You may wonder, how does it really work? Well, acidity is the main culprit responsible for dental pain. Hazelwood, on the other hand has the ability to absorb and neutralize your body’s acidity. Besides enhancing dental health, Hazelwood is great for migraines and headaches, as well as bone disorders such as arthritis, osteoporosis, and joint problems.
There are no significant side effects of Hazelwood.


The leaves can be used in teas to treat such ailments as varicose veins, circulatory problems, fevers, diarrhea and excessive menstrual flow.

 

Legends of the Hazel 
Known as the Tree of Knowledge in Norse mythology, the hazel was sacred to the god Thor;  in Irish and Welsh folklore, the hazel was believed to be a fairy tree, and it still grows near many holy wells.  Tara, the seat of ancient Irish kings, was located close to a hazel wood;  and it is said that members of the Fianna, a legendary band of Irish warriors, learnt to defend themselves with only a hazel stick and a shield.

In Celtic folklore, hazel nuts represented wisdom and poetic inspiration.  Hazel shafts were used for water divining, and this practice evolved into the making of pilgrims’ staffs, shepherds’ crooks and walking sticks.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have made little bags of gauze that are filled with small hazel twigs. I have then placed the drawstring bag on a ribbon that then I tied around my neck and under my shirt, next to the skin.  I keep it on 24/7 unless I need to bathe. I have found that this contact with the twigs is just enough to keep the poisons at bay. I no longer feel my rotten tooth, nor the arthritis that haunts my fingers.  I picked up the gauze ribbon at the local dollar store. It is about 3" wide. 
    From my experience I would highly recommend the bracelets that are being sold. 
If you have more twigs/bark then add them to your tea. It does make the tea darker in colour.  I just add it to the rest of my leaves and it all makes a fine brew. 

I planted the tree a few years ago and I was waiting for the nuts to enjoy. But the squirrel beat me to them last year. Then my husband decided to "prune" the tree in May-after the nuts had started to grow. So all I had left was the leaves and the limbs. I am glad I found this information.  
---
I was growing the tree of wisdom all this time.  
So I guess Eve took from the Hazel Tree and not the Apple Tree. I am not sure about that one. 
My grandmother's name was Hazel- perhaps it meant more then just a colour.








No comments:

Post a Comment