Friday, 29 November 2013

12 year olds

I was wondering how to educate my children about money matters before the credit card companies did. I really did not want to see them in the same hole I am in when they are our age. 
 I have decided that 12 years is a great time to get them thinking about the right way to do things. 

WE rarely talked about finances as a kid.  I was babysitting since I was about 10 (mom was near by  for emergencies) , paper route at 11, waitress at 14 (at a summer camp) and a part time waitress job at a senior's residence at age 15. So I have had an income for a few years. But nothing was saved up. Made it and spent it just as quick. 

But if a 12 year girl/boy is considered an adult in some cultures why not in my family? So that is the main motivation. As well as seeing a few millionaire high school students on the news has also encouraged me to forge ahead with this idea.

We have been listening to Dave Ramsey. He has a  Fundamental Money management course And he talks about Baby steps. He has several website with free material. Check it out if you are struggling in the finical  realm.  WE were able to get the work book  before and now we have the DVDs to go with it. We are all learning what to do and what not to do with money, credit cards, "emergencies", and other issues dealing with money.

No comments:

Post a Comment