Friday, 11 January 2013

Visiting the old

I started to see a lady in the church. She is on the Alzheimer's ward at the local "nursing home".  I thought I was just being nice. She has gave her whole life for others and now she is there. I did not think she should be. Her husband is near bye her so I see him as well. But he is more mobile and able to visit to others more easily. 

Initially I had to overcome a very large Satanic influence.  It almost felt like a demon. It stood in my way at the door of the home. I am not sure if it was internal or external now. But it was there to stop me. But I was determined to see what God had in  store for me. I found my way behind the food cart that "was going my way".  I felt God directing my footsteps.

 I went into her room and just prayed for her. I read a little from my Bible. I read some familiar passages. Psalm 23, Matthew 1.  I wanted to let her know that she was still God's beloved. And as I said it I realized that she was in the hand of God. Her heavenly father still loved her, even though she was helpless. She was living as we all need to live- in grace of the Almighty King of Kings.  She could  not do anything more but only receive. 

 When Christ said," It is finished". He meant it. His blood replaced the blood of the passover lamb. We no longer need to do anything to "earn" his provision. Many Christians, including myself believe that we need to "work out " our salvation.  We need to earn the continued presence of God in our life. I was under the assumption that I could lose my "gift" of eternal life. 
But -as Christ is in this world so am I... "For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him." 2 Corinthians 5:21

Was this lady still a Christian even though she could "not work out her salvation"? Of course she was. When God looks at her He sees his lamb.  Does the word of God change as we get older, weaker, sicker? Of course not. 

I was intending on praying for her and having communion with her and watch her get up and walk out. But God had other plans. I had my drinking box of grape juice and a cracker. I consumed these items while in prayer. But nothing happened that I could see.

I felt as if I was done there and went to visit her husband. He was feeling very depressed. He needed a word of encouragement. I did not know this at the time. I just thought I should see him too because I was there. Perhaps he needed the grape juice and the cracker more then his wife but I did not bring enough. Nor was I thinking of his need for comfort and the reminder of grace.  

He did read more into my visit then I did. I was there to remind him as well about God's grace. As I entered his room I was shocked by the lack of sound. I said he needed some music. And he had some but his machine was "broken". So I checked it out and "fixed" it.(flipped a switch)
So simple.

The next time I went he was in the room with her in a much better mood. He noticed that I brought my Bible to read. He asked me if I had a passage to read to her and I said no. He then took it and asked God to open it. And he read where it opened. It opened at Zephaniah 3 - where Zephaniah was prophesying about the the return of the Israeli people to Israel. When he was gone I tried it to and ended up at Job 42 where Job was restored to his family and friends. Again, both passages speak about God's generosity towards those that love Him.  Both passages talk about  people being restored. 

I had wanted to make some sort of contact with her as she could not see me. Her body was curled up in a "fetus position", and under covers so the only thing I could see was her head. So I began to massage her head. She enjoyed it! 

I went a third time and she was talking. At first she was sleeping so I was singing to myself for the first part. I had brought my song book and was actually reading the songs. So it was more like a poetry reading then a singing session.  Then I went to read the Bible- again I prayed and allowed God to open the Book- this time He opened it up to Judges 6- the story of Gideon.
 Another reference to God's redeeming power.  I love Gideon's excuse..

When the angel of the Lord appeared to Gideon, he said, “The Lord is with you, mighty warrior.”13 “Pardon me, my lord,” Gideon replied, “but if the Lord is with us, why has all this happened to us? Where are all his wonders that our ancestors told us about when they said, ‘Did not the Lord bring us up out of Egypt?’ But now the Lord has abandoned us and given us into the hand of Midian.”14 The Lord turned to him and said, “Go in the strength you have and save Israel out of Midian’s hand. Am I not sending you?”15 “Pardon me, my lord,” Gideon replied, “but how can I save Israel? My clan is the weakest in Manasseh, and I am the least in my family.”16 The Lord answered, “I will be with you, and you will strike down all the Midianites, leaving none alive.”
The story continues with removal of the backyard shrine to Baal, the sacrifice of the oxen, and the  wet/dry fleece.  And Gideon does indeed go on to remove the Midianites from Israel.

That was my excuse! I was the middle child of my family therefore I was not gifted.  I could not sing therefore I was not gifted. I am a girl. I am poor. I am ...

I went to see this lady because I did not think she should be there, suffering from this disease if she was God's beloved daughter. I went thinking I could help God  heal her. She had been sick for over 6 years. But God is healing me! God has be waiting patiently to heal me from all my excuses. He came to show me that he loves me. That there is nothing I can today to make him love me more.  I am not walking behind anyone. I have my own path to trod with or without a degree from a university, with or without money, with or without a great fitness level. I am God's beloved daughter just as I am. 






 












 







No comments:

Post a Comment