Monday, 1 October 2012

Sandsoap and the bottled garden

       I made a new discovery at the local Fijian marketplace over the weekend. It is called sandstone. It is making my pots very clean. That is a very good dollar spent. I have come to discover sand is what they used before SOS pads and the plastic scrubbers.  Today I will try it on my oven. I have tried it on my sinks with great results there too. I am thinking it might be good on my feet too. 
       I have made another discovery- the Israelis also used the fall for a time to plant. The rains will allow the seeds to grow. I am also guessing it is cooler and better for growing in general. In light of this I also went to my garden and found a few slugs. I started to empty my plant pots  that did not grow any plants. I will be filling them again with known winners. The beets did not grow very well. But they are green so I will let them stay the "winter" and see what happens.  

  I have used terracotta bricks in my garden as a barrier wall (edging). I was just letting them fill with dirt and bugs. They came from a older chimney. But as I was discovering the source of holes in my cabbage leaves (the slugs) I was thinking there must be away to reuse the terracotta for more then just a barrier. So I will use the holes in the bricks as  places for anti slug plants. But the clay it self could be used for other things like holding essential oil and ??
 
In my search for recycling ideas I have come across this one. It is from Nigeria. They are placing sand in bottles and using this for their walls. Great idea eh? I really am thinking we are getting ripped off when we recycle our bottles at the local recycling depot.



      
     Here is another way to recycle plastic. This a modern twist on the herb garden. I am thinking the return on the owners health is more then the $0.10 they would get for actually recycling at the local depot.
Here is another idea for recycling.
These girls are in Pakistan. They are stacking up the dirt and bottles and making holes for the plants.  They are also using a mixture of sand and dirt as well.  So many interesting ways to garden in the cities. Walls do not need to be a barrier to food production.

No comments:

Post a Comment