Tuesday, 25 September 2012

Keeping track of Finances

Do you track your spending on the different things that you purchase in a month or year? I have for a few years now.  But it would be interesting to actually graph the separate years and see the difference. 
The advisers suggest that you keep spending the way that you do when you are poor. So in other words only spend $100/week on food no matter your income. But this is difficult to do as you have waited and post phoned certain purchases until you could afford it easier. One does not need perfume to survive but it would be nice to smell better. So when the income has arrived it is time for that reward.  I think we have learned a few lessons while being poor though. We have learnt the value of home cooked meals versus the take out.  
My husband loved take-out food. But now it takes $30+ to feed a family of 4 for one meal. But if we buy the same beef/ chicken or pork and a loaf of bread or two, a bag of potatoes, bottle oil and some cheese we can eat for a few days on the same $30.00. We will also live better. 

We have learned one trick that restaurants use in their burgers.... they add pork to the beef. 

Gordon Ramsey has re-invited the meat ball. It reminds me of the brussel sprout. Nutrition on the small scale. I have included his recipe here.



Serves 4

Ingredients

  • 200g minced beef
  • 200g minced pork
  • ½ bunch flat leaf parsley
  • A splash of white wine
  • 2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 3 tbsp fine breadcrumbs
  • Milk, enough to cover breadcrumbs
  • Plain flour
For the marinara
  • 2 tins chopped tomatoes
  • 2 shallots, finely diced
  • 3 cloves garlic, halved
  • ½ red chilli, finely sliced
  • 2 tbsp pitted green olives, drained
  • Small bunch basil
  • 1 tbsp chopped fresh oregano
  • Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • Olive oil

METHOD

  1. Heat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4. Soak the breadcrumbs in the milk.
  2. Lightly fry the shallots, garlic and chilli for 2-3 minutes until soft. Deglaze the pan with a splash of white wine. Add the tomatoes along with the basil, oregano and finally the olives. Simmer to reduce (this should take 5-10 mins).
  3. While the tomato sauce is cooking, make up the meatballs. To the mince add the parsley, Parmesan, garlic and add soaked breadcrumbs, mix well. Season with a little salt and pepper.
  4. Shape into walnut sized balls and lightly coat the meatballs in the flour and fry in hot olive oil until golden. Add the meatballs to the tomato sauce and bake in the oven for 10 minutes
  5. Serve with (brown) basmati rice.


    He has also used cooked rice instead of the bread crumbs. I have watched him spread out the beef/pork in the bowl and then add the mixture of cheese, crumbs(rice) spices. Then he mixes it all together. I made some with beans the other day. My husband liked it more then the kids. But if the kids did not see the beans I am sure it would had been better.  
    Do your own reinventing.

    I made my own Pannier yesterday.  I added the results to the tomato sauce with the spaghetti. Very nice and very easy!! I think it would be easier to use buttermilk though. And then strain it. That is  all. Use the dry chunks for the sauce.  I will need to use the whey for something. There is so much of it.



No comments:

Post a Comment