Home made yogurt East Indian style is very easy to make. I have been making this yogurt for over 5 years. Sometimes it turns out well and other times not so well. I think the active bacteria culture that I am buying in the some of the various brands made for the retail market do not work so well. It has been interesting. And also my own heating and waiting periods would vary as well.
But recently... I was on the look out for a yogurt with 4 different bacteria strains... They are L. bulgaricus, streptococcus, acidophilus and bifidus, thermophilus.
This type of yogurt is sold as pro-biotic.( It is the type that is in Activia). Home made yogurt is so much better because you know what is going into it. When you are making a of yogurt at a time you will be finding new ways to use it.
It is so simple to make. First you bring your milk to a boil on the stove or in the microwave.( I though this step was more necessary in India then in America due to pasteurization ... but I think now it has more to do with remove the air in the cells and making it more condensed)
Then you will allow the milk to cool to lukewarm-about 15-30 minutes. (warm to the touch)
Then add your yogurt culture. So with 8cups of boiled milk add about 2 tablespoons (or more) that is all that you need.
Then let the yogurt sit inside your oven with the like on for about 3-8 hours. Then there it is. Your own cancer, diarrhea,intestinal infection cure!!
Then place in the fridge to save until needed. Easy!! Save about a quarter of a cup for your next batch and you will not to buy commercially produced yogurt again.
You can drink it with fruit as in a smoothie. You can add real fruit or even condensed juice. Or jam too. I usually do all three as my daughter has this sweet tooth.
There are different dips you can make as well. I am learning about the soups. The Swedes mix yogurt with their granola, or even flaked cereal. The sweetness in the store bought cereal is made more mellow with the yogurt. I think it is a meal for sure. WE usually do the smoothie here. I have also added green tea, herb tea to the mix of jam, fruit and yogurt. Or if there is no jam just a little sugar. Whatever it takes to get into my 12 year old daughter.
But recently... I was on the look out for a yogurt with 4 different bacteria strains... They are L. bulgaricus, streptococcus, acidophilus and bifidus, thermophilus.
This type of yogurt is sold as pro-biotic.( It is the type that is in Activia). Home made yogurt is so much better because you know what is going into it. When you are making a of yogurt at a time you will be finding new ways to use it.
It is so simple to make. First you bring your milk to a boil on the stove or in the microwave.( I though this step was more necessary in India then in America due to pasteurization ... but I think now it has more to do with remove the air in the cells and making it more condensed)
Then you will allow the milk to cool to lukewarm-about 15-30 minutes. (warm to the touch)
Then add your yogurt culture. So with 8cups of boiled milk add about 2 tablespoons (or more) that is all that you need.
Then let the yogurt sit inside your oven with the like on for about 3-8 hours. Then there it is. Your own cancer, diarrhea,intestinal infection cure!!
Then place in the fridge to save until needed. Easy!! Save about a quarter of a cup for your next batch and you will not to buy commercially produced yogurt again.
You can drink it with fruit as in a smoothie. You can add real fruit or even condensed juice. Or jam too. I usually do all three as my daughter has this sweet tooth.
There are different dips you can make as well. I am learning about the soups. The Swedes mix yogurt with their granola, or even flaked cereal. The sweetness in the store bought cereal is made more mellow with the yogurt. I think it is a meal for sure. WE usually do the smoothie here. I have also added green tea, herb tea to the mix of jam, fruit and yogurt. Or if there is no jam just a little sugar. Whatever it takes to get into my 12 year old daughter.
No comments:
Post a Comment