I have found another every day "weed" to be an herb!!! Clover both the red and the white have anti-cancer properties. Thus tea, jelly, honey is all good. I have had clover honey. Very nice. But I have yet to make the clover tea or the jelly. But I have found some of it growing in my yard among the grass and have moved it to a less populated "mountain side" and will watch it grow. It does like the sun though.
I also keep finding new dandelions as I stare at the dirt where my swimming pool usually goes. I am glad we have delayed that spring time ritual of getting our pool out of storage. The rain and the coolness would not have enticed us to swim and I would have lost so much nutrition from the dandelions. As the dandelions would have been under the pool- as they have been for the past 5 years.
Back to the clover. Apparently you can stir fry the blossoms just as you can with the dandelions. Also the fresh newer leaves are sweeter just like with the dandelion. Apparently you can steam and cook the leaves like you can with spinach. But they are suppose to be sweeter.
You can also just sprout them in a jar and here is the reason why you may want to find a way to eat them ... "Clover sprouts contain vitamins A, B, C, E and K, the minerals calcium, magnesium, potassium, iron, phosphorus and zinc, trace minerals, carotene, chlorophyll and amino acids. They contain 26% protein. High in nutrition, especially for us “chicks.” Red clover contains naturally occurring plant estrogens, similar to human estrogen, so they are helpful with PMS, menopause, hot flashes and fibrocystic disease."- from Healthy Heyday
I also keep finding new dandelions as I stare at the dirt where my swimming pool usually goes. I am glad we have delayed that spring time ritual of getting our pool out of storage. The rain and the coolness would not have enticed us to swim and I would have lost so much nutrition from the dandelions. As the dandelions would have been under the pool- as they have been for the past 5 years.
Back to the clover. Apparently you can stir fry the blossoms just as you can with the dandelions. Also the fresh newer leaves are sweeter just like with the dandelion. Apparently you can steam and cook the leaves like you can with spinach. But they are suppose to be sweeter.
If all that is in a tiny sprout what am I doing eating iceberg lettuce?
"Red clover tea has been found to be beneficial in regulating the levels of cholesterol in the body by lowering amounts of bad cholesterol, while increasing the levels of good cholesterol in the bloodstream. In a clinical research study by Baker Medical Research Institute (see References), red clover isoflavones were reported to have been effective in lowering the levels of cholesterol in men who participated in the research group. Regulating levels of cholesterol is critical in helping to prevent cardiovascular disease." from What Are the Benefits of Red Clover Tea? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_5089335_benefits-red-clover-tea.html#ixzz1z67X5F28
Here is one way to make the clover and danilions jellies
"For the clover infusion:
4 cups boiling water
4 cups clover flower heads (This part was way easier with clover. All parts of the plant are edible, and none of them particularly offensive. While it is beneficial to use only the actual flower head, a little green isn’t going to have a noticeable effect on the jelly.)
4 cups clover flower heads (This part was way easier with clover. All parts of the plant are edible, and none of them particularly offensive. While it is beneficial to use only the actual flower head, a little green isn’t going to have a noticeable effect on the jelly.)
Place clover in a glass or stainless steel container, cover with boiling water and leave it steep overnight. Strain out flowers and squeeze out excess water, reserving liquid for the jelly.
For the clover jelly:
4 cups infusion (add water to replace what was lost in straining)
8 Tablespoons lemon juice
2 packages powdered pectin
8 cups sugar
8 Tablespoons lemon juice
2 packages powdered pectin
8 cups sugar
Add lemon juice to the infusion, stir in pectin and bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Add the sugar all at once and bring to a rolling boil. Boil for one minute, skim and pour into jelly jars. Process like you would any other jelly." from Roscommon Acres
No comments:
Post a Comment