Monday, 28 May 2012

Saving money

  In this day of austerity measures I think of another time when we, in North America did indeed do more with less it was the Great Depression. This started in 1929 with yes, a stock market crash. Then to add to this wonderful time the clouds did not send much rain over the prairies of Canada (and the US) and then we had the Dust Bowl - the decade was called the Dirty Thirties.
 
 As the price of things continues to rise we need to remember how our grandparents and great-grandparents dealt with their circumstances. If they had only protested we would not be here today. Many  prairie farmers moved to BC in the 1930's where there trees and water. Including my great uncle and half of the town. 

Enough history for today..

Soup
 
Soup making is one way to save money. The actual product saves money as well as the planning for the creating of soup. I have found that 2kgs of chicken can make about 36 cups of broth. Broth is more then meat and water it includes vegetables like onions and garlic and carrots. (I did not consider onions sweet until I bought a 50lbs bag recently for $6.00 from the local East Indian store. ) I  am thinking that if each person in my family of 4 had 2cups of broth this make about 3 or 4 meals. 

After I decided that I wanted to start my diet of soup I went the library and found some recipes for the soup. Now I have made a list of soups and ingredients I can go to the store and shop.  It will an interesting change.



Recently I have been reading  books by Steve and Annette Economides (Greek for son of the steward)...America's Cheapest Family, and Cut your Grocery Bill in Half. 
They have started me to think about  better planning - starting with the menu and choices for a month worth of eating.


Cold yogurt soups will be good for the hot weather. Soups with corn and shrimp. Some of the favorite foods in this house. It will be exciting to leave the frying behind. 


No comments:

Post a Comment