Eat the flowers!
I have planted nasturtiums to eat for the past few years. They are very easy to grow as long as the squirrels don't eat the seeds first. I have decided to add to my salad a few more colours and varieties.
Part of preparing my garden is to increase my knowledge of what flowers are edible and grow where I live.
It is a good time start collecting seeds as well. I know I will be ready next year if I start now.
For the moment I would like to keep my garden in production. I live near Vancouver,BC and get mostly rain for precipitation in the winter. The rain is okay considering the rest of my country receives snow from the heavens in winter. The shorten days and the cloud cover makes growing plants outdoors a challenge in the winter months. The concern is root rot here.The soil can get very saturated. I have lost a few herbs because I left them in the garden. I need to put them in pots near the house-away from the rain clouds. Away from the rain and in a space where the pots can indeed drain.
So as I harvest my tomatoes and zucchini I will be looking for edible flowers to grow in the rain.
No comments:
Post a Comment