I have come across this scripture verse that has been badly misinterpreted for many years. It is Philippians 2:12:
But actually there has been a problem with actual meaning.
When I was beginning this new era in my Christian walk there was a little old lady that was in a hospital bed for over 5 years. I knew she was there. But I was able to live in the guilt of not visiting her. But as I started to live in grace and found new power to do the things of Yahweh I found myself thinking about visiting this dear sister in Jesus. But as I entered the hospital doors I started to tremble. I know I was in the right place at the right time but still I was trembling. I almost turned around and allow Satan to win the battle. I was so scared to visit this little lady who had Alzheimer's. It seems so silly now looking back. But if the doors of that elevator had not opened at the right time I was going to walk away.
So this verse has changed for me...
"work out your own salvation(do acts of righteousness) even though you are trembling. Be brave and complete the tasks Jesus has empowered you to do. " It is power that moves me.
Philippians 2:12King James Version (KJV)
12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.
and in the more common translation the NIV
2 Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed—not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence—continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling,but in the Amplified
12 So then, my dear ones, just as you have always obeyed [my instructions with enthusiasm], not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence, continue to work out your salvation [that is, cultivate it, bring it to full effect, actively pursue spiritual maturity] with awe-inspired fear and trembling [using serious caution and critical self-evaluation to avoid anything that might offend God or discredit the name of Christ].And yet all three translations seem to instruct the reader that our salvation is work dependent.
But actually there has been a problem with actual meaning.
When I was beginning this new era in my Christian walk there was a little old lady that was in a hospital bed for over 5 years. I knew she was there. But I was able to live in the guilt of not visiting her. But as I started to live in grace and found new power to do the things of Yahweh I found myself thinking about visiting this dear sister in Jesus. But as I entered the hospital doors I started to tremble. I know I was in the right place at the right time but still I was trembling. I almost turned around and allow Satan to win the battle. I was so scared to visit this little lady who had Alzheimer's. It seems so silly now looking back. But if the doors of that elevator had not opened at the right time I was going to walk away.
So this verse has changed for me...
"work out your own salvation(do acts of righteousness) even though you are trembling. Be brave and complete the tasks Jesus has empowered you to do. " It is power that moves me.
No comments:
Post a Comment