Thursday, 31 May 2012

a crazy plant

I have found an edible flower!! It also has edible leaves, and roots. It is very common and grows almost everywhere. It is very good for the body. It has a lot of vitamin A. It contains many anti-cancer agents, iron and potassium,  vitamin C is probably the richest herbal sources of vitamin K; provides about 650% of DRI. Vitamin-K has potential role in bone mass building by promoting osteotrophic activity in the bones. It also has established role in the treatment of Alzheimer's disease patients by limiting neuronal damage in the brain.Dandelion herb contains notable nutrients and is a great source of nutrition during winter
This humble herb provides (%of RDA/100g)-9% of dietary fiber,19% of vitamin B-6 (pyridoxine), 20% of Riboflavin,58% of vitamin C, 338% of vitamin A, 649% of vitamin K, 39% of iron and 19% of calcium.

Do you know what flower I am talking about? In English it is translated as the tooth of Lion... the lowly dandelion. 

I was amazed to find this out yesterday. I just had to share it. 
I had no idea. It is considered a weed not a herb in most yards and  gardens in Canada.  But to the Natives  of Canada and other cultures it is an herb!!!! 

I have a few recipes too. 

 
Dandelion Salad Recipe
Here is a simple dandelion recipe which you can add to your meals to obtain the health benefits of dandelion.
Ingredients
  ½ lbs tender dandelion greens
  ½ onion
  2 tomatoes
  ½ bell pepper
  salt, pepper, garlic to taste

Steps
  Stir fry the finely chopped onions, finely cut dandelion green, sliced tomatoes, and shredded bell pepper.
  Allow it to cool, mix well salt and coarsely ground pepper.

Dandelion Green Smoothie Recipe:
  • 1 apple (peeled)
  • 1/2 banana
  • 7 dandelion greens
    (~1 cup chopped)
  • ~ 3/4 cup water

Blend and enjoy. An excellent health tonic.




No comments:

Post a Comment