Yesterday we went to the mall... or at least we went by one. It was too hard to enter. Too many cars. I am sure it was good for business.
I am not sure if the wisemen would be approving of the line ups. They gave gifts to a baby. But the birth of this baby lined up the planets, and this birth was to change history as well as the future.
I am not sure what a baby would do with gold, frankincense and myrrh either. Strange how we have twisted this whole thing.
Stories often highlight the willingness of Mary. Mary was chosen to be the mother of God. Yet, Joseph was also chosen to be the father, guardian of this baby boy. We often forget his role in protecting Mary physically and emotionally. His reluctance in doing the right thing as well. He had no way of knowing what was right. Traditions did not serve him. He and Mary where the beginning of something very new. Mary had to spend time with her Aunt Elizabeth- not only to protect her mind but also her body. No one wanted her around.
She was like a dirty rag to them. Her friends did not see what was inside of her as God's son.
In some countries Christmas time is 1 month long. This is a good idea. Even though we may have gotten the wrong message from the mixing of traditions. Family and friends become a priority for a dark and dreary month of the year is important. The giving of love, gifts is a good thing too.
I watched a TV show documenting the Santa traditions. I was surprised by the mixing of the winter solstice traditions with the birth of the Savior.
No comments:
Post a Comment