Hello my friends and family,
In North America we have just finished the season of Halloween. I am not sure why we bother with the masks and the costumes and the kids begging for the candy. The tradition is older then we would like to think. It dates back to when the Catholic church allowed the "devil" out once a year. So we were to dress up and confuse the evil spirits. Or something like that. That tradition would be a few hundred years old. Our family just goes to the store and buys some chocolate for ourselves. End of story. It has actually something to do with All Hallow's Eve. The evening before All Saint's Day when we are suppose to remember the Hero's of the Church. Strange how we choose our traditions eh?
In Canada we also have Thanksgiving with the family. It has a harvest theme to it. In the United States they also have a Thanksgiving Day. It is a bigger celebration then Christmas down there. I was wondering how the original celebration begin and why it was on a Thursday and not the Friday or a Monday. I found out it was the North American Indians that actually celebrated the harvest hundreds if not thousands of years ago. The original inhabitants actually invited the surviving settlers from England to join in their 3 day party. They supplied the food-the turkeys, the pumpkin pie, the sweet potatoes, the corn. They supplied the games of Lacrosse. I am sure they supplied the musical instruments too. Many of those traditions came north with the Empire Loyalists in the 1770's when the Americas became independent. Now there is wonderful tradition.
After the season of thankfulness comes the time of remembering the more modern heroes of war. Heroes that do not have names as there are fewer who remember their friends and their family member. So we wear a poppy for our freedom and support the veterans in this small way. Have you ever read a book by or about Winston Churchill? He was the leader in England during WWII. He was such a brave man. He knew which way was forward. He was one step ahead of Hitler and one step ahead of Stalin. I have read some of his quotes. I think I will spend the day- November 11 -getting to know him better.
No comments:
Post a Comment