My mom's mom also had a very interesting yard. Only flowers and vegetables were allowed. She no room for grass. She had grown up in the country side of Zhytomyr, Ukraine. They had a large orchard, with animals. That is really all that I know at the moment. Thus she was used to raising the food that she ate even when her and grandpa moved to town to retire. I remember going to her raspberry bush to find "desert".
When we lived in northern Manitoba I remember all the jars of preserves my mom had made. Some were from the garden. But many were not. The jars of jam were from fruit from other places. She kept them on shelves on a wall. in the basement She even canned fish. I was amazed then and now as I look back I am even more amazed as we were little, and she was indeed busy with the ladies in the church. I guess there was not too much much TV time for her.
My grandmother had a unique collection of pill bottles that she had saved for her grand kids to play with. They were all shapes and sizes. Green, brown and clear glass. They were cleaned. Now there are collector items and worth a good chunk of change for sure.
No comments:
Post a Comment